Sunday, April 1, 2007

I DID IT!!!!!!

First of all I just wanted to say one thing. If anyone wants to ever run a marathon, the first thing you should do is find a great running group like the Y Run Club. Michelle and Eric and all of the others did more than they could possibly know to help me reach my goal.
I finished the Yakima River Canyon Marathon in 5:26. I tried so hard to only concentrate on finishing, but secretly I did want to beat 5:30.
I met Eric and Michelle at their house Friday around noon. We drove up to Selah together. When we got to the Civic Center, I was pretty glued to Eric and Michelle and I know I had the "deer in the headlights" look all evening. After the Marathon Maniac Reunion meeting, we sat down to a pasta dinner and a great speech by John "The Penguin" Bingham. He was so funny and he really made me feel at ease about being a slow. After that, we retired for the night back at the hotel. This is where Michelle and Eric were able to unglue me from their hip.
The next morning we enjoyed a nice, early 5a.m. breakfast. I was a little scared because my stomach was a bit upset, but that cleared up before we started running. Then we were off to the Civic Center to catch the first bus to the race start. At the beginning of the race, I couldn't even grasp the idea of running 5 1/2 to 6 hours., but the time really did fly by. I found myself reflecting on a lot of things in my life....my family, career, future, past. It was eye opening and enlightening.
I was honored to be able to run next to Bob Dolphin for a couple miles up to the big hill. This was his 400th marathon.
With about 2 1/2 miles to go, I spotted Eric running back UP the hill. He was coming back for Michelle. When he got to her, he sent melissa up to me and I waived her on telling her not to hold back for me. I can't beleive the amount of energy she had left. In the last ten miles, there were about three times that I just thought, "I really am going to finish this. I am running and finishing a marathon." My eyes started to well up with tears each time.....then I cursed at the fact that I am a sappy girl and drove on. There was a long turn in the last mile and I couldn't see the finish line for a long time. When I finally did, Sonya was there yelling and cheering. Ray had finished a half hour earlier (also his first marathon). He was also there along with Jane cheering. I sprinted to the finish line, collected up my finisher medal and rose and waited just a couple more minutes for Michelle.
My only injury is a blister that I always get on my pinky toe. I am a little stiff, but it is very managable. All in all I feel great. Again, I thank Michelle and Ericand the Y run club. Most of all, I thank my husband and kids for putting up with my running schedule and supporting me so much in this journey.....which has really just begun.

4 comments:

seagull junker said...

Great job Michelle!!! Great report. Have as much fun on your next marathon. You did awesome.
tom

Backofpack said...

Michelle,
Not only your first marathon, but your first marathon race report! Whoo-hoo! I think you were incredible to break 5:30 on your first try. If there's one thing I knew when you signed up for this, and for Mt. Si, that is that there was no doubt you would finish - you are one tough runner! Way to go!

runliarun said...

Congratulations! I don't think it's sappy to well up in tears when finishing a marathon. I will run my first in a month from now, and I'll probably cry at the finish. Or even before. Once or twice, in smaller races, I cried before it even began. I think it was gratitude - that I was able to run in a race, for the sake of sheer running.

wendy said...

Hey Michelle,

Sorry it's taken so long to send a congratulations your way, but I still wanted to tell you!

I saw this great quote in a runner's id tag, "There will be days I don't know if I can run a marathon, but there will be a lifetime of knowing I have" - isn't it awesome we can say that now!!

You did such a great job - I finished in over 6 (almost 6.5) on my marathon last year, and I remember near the end, there was a big sign that said, "Chicago loves the Back of the Pack", and I teared up too. It reminded me of Michelle and the run club. They are the Best! I don't think I could have finished some of those long runs without their support, and I wouldn't have finished the marathon without those long runs!

Anyhow, I loved your race report. I can't wait til San Fran now to get to know you better! have an awesome week. =)