Monday, April 23, 2007

MT SI


First, I want to say that the pics I post on today's blog have been cut and pasted from Michelle B's blog. I have to give propper credit. I don't take a camera to the runs.
Yesterday was a really good day all the way around. Michelle B, Eric, Melissa, Rick, Patch, Sonja, and I all met at the Y about 6:15 and headed up to Snoqualamie. We got to the Elementary school, got checked in, and did all those silly little prerace checks and rituals. I recognized a hand full of people from Yakima.
The race started at 8:30. The weather was beautiful. Michelle B, Melissa, Rick, and I all started out together. The first ten miles was pretty easy. We got to the first aid station and felt good. During the Yakima Marathon, I ate a lot of GU, sport beans, and Cliff Blocks. I really felt like I O.D.ed on sugar during that race. This time I tried to concentrate on things that weren't so sugary like bananas and more bland food. I felt much better afterward for it. The next 5 1/2 miles was all uphill, but it was a nice gradual uphill that didn't hurt too much. We all just kept thinking about how nice it was going to be to go downhill all the way back.

At about the 21 mile mark, I started feeling everything. It was getting harder and harder to get going after a walk break. I could feel all of the rocks under my feet. At about the 27 mile mark, Melissa and I took off a bit and stopped the walk breaks. I told Melissa to leave me when there was about three miles to go. She is an awsome runner and has so much energy at the end. She could probably run the whole thing without any walk breaks and do very well. The last couple miles were the absolute longest. I felt pretty strong, but it just seemed to last forever. There was a bridge about 1/2 mile from the start/finish with a bunch of stairs. I really had to concentrate going down those stairs at the end. Anyways, I had a good strong finish with 6:48 minutes for my first ultra marathon (50K/31miles).
I have to say that the day wouldn't be half as successful if it weren't for Eric and Sonja. Sonja ended up being a last munute race volunteer handling drop bags and helping at the aid station. Eric ran out to us at a few different points with water, taking our extra stuff, giving us support. He ran 20 miles himslef just helping us. I don't think any of us would accomplish as much without the aid of all of our supporters. I need to repay the favor. If anyone is doing a race and need support people, I will help wherever I can.

The best part of the day was cleaning up a little bit and going out for pizza at Jay Berry's in North Bend. I broke down and had a Corona with my pizza. The day was complete.
A great accomplishment, great food, and great friends. Congrats to Rick and Patch for also completing their first Ultra and a great big congrats to Melissa for qualifying to be a Maniac.

3 comments:

Jenny, Maniac #401 said...

Michelle! WAY TO GO! I hope your legs are feeling okay today! rest and drink lots of water! Are you ready to go again? Here comes Eugene!
Jenny

maniac hippo said...

Congratulations on an awesome race Michelle! I was so glad to meet you finally after hearing so much about you from Michelle B. I hope you join the Maniacs and come along on all our happy adventures. You certainly deserve it.

I have to admit that given your demeanor and confidence I had you pegged as a super-experienced ultrarunner who kind of owned the place. Maybe that's a prophecy (nudge, nudge)

Backofpack said...

Michelle, I know I left a comment earlier...maybe I forgot to hit enter. Anyway, you did super out there yesterday. You are one steady and focused runner. Are you looking forward to Eugene and achieving Maniac status?!?

I forgot about those stairs in my report. I swear they got much steeper from the beginning of the race to the end!